Home

What's New

News Release | MASSPIRG Education Fund | Health Care

Group Calls on FDA to Protect Public Health by Regulating Antibiotic Use at Factory Farms

As outlined in our new report entitled Weak Medicine:  Why the FDA's New Guidelines Are Inadequate To Curb Antibiotic Resistance and Protect Public Health.  Guidelines issued by FDA last year lack the restrictions necessary to fully combat the increase in antibiotic-resistant bacteria documented by world health experts.

> Keep Reading
Report | MASSPIRG Education Fund | Health Care

Weak Medicine

 As outlined in our new report, Weak Medicine:  Why the FDA's New Guidelines Are Inadequate To Curb Antibiotic Resistance and Protect Public Health. Guidelines issued by the FDA last year lack the restrictions necessary to fully combat the increase in antibiotic-resistant bacteria documents by world health experts.

> Keep Reading
Report | MASSPIRG EDUCATION FUND | Public Health, Consumer Protection

Ending the Abuse of Antibiotics in Livestock Production

The overuse and misuse of antibiotics threathen public health.

> Keep Reading
News Release | MASSPIRG | Public Health, Consumer Protection

Stop the Superbugs:

MASSPIRG calls on President Obama to curb misuse and overuse of antibiotics.

> Keep Reading
Media Hit | Solid Waste

Thirty years later, they’re still pushing the bottle bill

MASSPIRG's Executive Director Janet Domenitz's career as political organizer and effort to update the Bottle Bill on the ballot this November. 

> Keep Reading

Pages

News Release | MASSPIRG Education Fund | Health Care

Group Calls on FDA to Protect Public Health by Regulating Antibiotic Use at Factory Farms

As outlined in our new report entitled Weak Medicine:  Why the FDA's New Guidelines Are Inadequate To Curb Antibiotic Resistance and Protect Public Health.  Guidelines issued by FDA last year lack the restrictions necessary to fully combat the increase in antibiotic-resistant bacteria documented by world health experts.

> Keep Reading
News Release | MASSPIRG | Public Health, Consumer Protection

Stop the Superbugs:

MASSPIRG calls on President Obama to curb misuse and overuse of antibiotics.

> Keep Reading
Media Hit | Solid Waste

Thirty years later, they’re still pushing the bottle bill

MASSPIRG's Executive Director Janet Domenitz's career as political organizer and effort to update the Bottle Bill on the ballot this November. 

> Keep Reading
News Release | MASSPIRG | Consumer Protection, Food

The Fight Continues to Label GMOs

Coalition of advocates in support of labeling foods  that contain genetically modified organisms (GMOs) announced that it will redouble its efforts to pass GMO labeling legislation in the next session. 

> Keep Reading

Consumers should not be denied basic information of a GMO label

MASSPIRG argues why Boston Globe Editorial has it wrong on GMO food labels.

> Keep Reading

Pages

Reining in Wall Street

On July 21, 2010, Congress enacted the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act.  Senator Scott Brown voted in favor of reform after MASSPIRG presented him with a new ride to replace his iconic, old pick up truck.  A BMW is more befitting of a man with close ties to Wall Street. Massachusetts Senator Scott Brown voted for Financial Reform.

> Keep Reading

Expanding Public Transportation

Fewer cars will clog Boston’s highways thanks to an upcoming five-mile extension of the Green Line. Our research and advocacy helped build support for the project. We also helped convince state leaders to begin study on four additional major rail expansions.

> Keep Reading
Result | Health Care

Ending Big Pharma’s Giveaways To Doctors

Drugmakers can no longer shower doctors with free gifts, meals and trips to boost the sales of prescription drugs. That’s because we persuaded Beacon Hill leaders to crack down on Pharma’s “direct-to-doctor” marketing practices, which contribute to the spiraling cost of prescriptions.

> Keep Reading

Keeping Dangerous Toys Off Store Shelves

Toxic chemicals, including lead and hormone-disrupting phthalates, are now banned in toys, thanks to a law we worked alongside our delegation to help pass in Congress. The same law requires regulators to test toys and infant products for safety before they hit store shelves.

> Keep Reading
Result | Public Health

KIDS’ SCHOOL LUNCHES NOW SAFER

For years, America’s schoolchildren have been eating beef, chicken and other foods that would have been rejected as substandard even by fast food chains. Thanks in part to our advocacy, the U.S.D.A. has stopped buying such low-quality meat for school lunches.

> Keep Reading

Pages

Report | MASSPIRG Education Fund | Health Care

Weak Medicine

 As outlined in our new report, Weak Medicine:  Why the FDA's New Guidelines Are Inadequate To Curb Antibiotic Resistance and Protect Public Health. Guidelines issued by the FDA last year lack the restrictions necessary to fully combat the increase in antibiotic-resistant bacteria documents by world health experts.

> Keep Reading
Report | MASSPIRG EDUCATION FUND | Public Health, Consumer Protection

Ending the Abuse of Antibiotics in Livestock Production

The overuse and misuse of antibiotics threathen public health.

> Keep Reading
Report | MASSPIRG EDUCATION FUND | Tax

Offshore Shell Games

Tax loopholes encouraged more than 70 percent of Fortune 500 companies – including some companies headquartered in Massachusetts – to maintain subsidiaries in offshore tax havens. Collectively, the companies reported booking nearly $2 trillion offshore for tax purposes, with just 30 companies accounting for 62 percent of the total, or $1.2 trillion.

> Keep Reading
Report | MASSPIRG | Budget, Tax

Picking up the Tab 2014: Average Citizens and Small Businesses Pay the Price for Offshore Tax Havens

As hardworking Americans file their taxes today, check out this report to see how ordinary taxpayers pick up the tab for the loopholes in our tax laws.

> Keep Reading
Report | MASSPIRG Education Fund | Consumer Protection

The Unfriendly Skies

An analysis of Five Years of Airline Passenger Complaints to the Department of Transportation.

> Keep Reading

Pages

Blog Post | Consumer Protection

The CFPB at Three: A Child Prodigy | Ed Mierzwinski

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB) turned just three years old Monday, July 21st, but when you look at its massive and compelling body of work, you must wonder: Are watchdog years like plain old dog years? Is the CFPB now a full-sized, 21-year-old adult? The answer is no, not yet. The CFPB is still growing and developing and adding programs and projects. The CFPB is, however, at three years old, certainly a child prodigy. Despite overwhelming public support, however, powerful special interests continue to attack it. Yet, the idea of the CFPB needs no defense, only more defenders.

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Food

Industry studies GMO labeling - findings not surprising | Deirdre Cummings

NOT surprisingly, chemical companies' new "study" finds GMO labeling costly. 

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Democracy

Election Modernization Bill Passes in Massachusetts | Janet Domenitz

Online Voter Registration Brings Massachusetts into the 21st Century

> Keep Reading
Blog Post | Consumer Protection

Your Rights as an Air Traveler | Andrew Fish

A quick roundup of your rights concerning flight delays, cancellations, and what to do if the airline loses your bag.

> Keep Reading

Pages

You Can Help

We have the chance to increase recycling by a billion bottles per year by updating the Bottle Bill. Your support will give us the resources we need to convince our legislators to act.

Consumer Alerts

Join our network and stay up to date on our campaigns, get important consumer updates and take action on critical issues.